- MS-ETS1-1.Define the criteria and constraints of a design problem with sufficient precision to ensure a successful solution, taking into account relevant scientific principles and potential impacts on people and the natural environment that may limit possible solutions.
- MS-ETS1-2.Evaluate competing design solutions using a systematic process to determine how well they meet the criteria and constraints of the problem.
- MS-ETS1-3.Analyze data from tests to determine similarities and differences among several design solutions to identify the best characteristics of each that can be combined into a new solution to better meet the criteria for success.
- MS-ETS1-4.Develop a model to generate data for iterative testing and modification of a proposed object, tool, or process such that an optimal design can be achieved.
Capstone Project (formerly Google 20 Projects)
Each semester, students work in companies to complete a task that requires them to use all the skills they have acquired over the semester. These tasks have students work together in a collaborative business setting to solve a given challenge. These challenges vary each semester and are worked on once a week to allow students to apply their skills that they have learned during the week.
The first semester challenge involves each partnership meeting with an assigned staff member and designing something that can they can make the staff member for his or her job on campus. The students design the object using Solidworks CAD software and 3D print the object out after several cycles of refinement. They then present their object to the staff member following a presentation to the class. Second semester challenges vary each year.
Throughout the year, students also compete in a variety of maker challenges. These are designed to teach them important engineering design concepts and allow them to practice the engineering design process. They include:
- Bridge building
- Egg Drop
- Building flashlights
- Duct Tape Penny Boats
- Rock Mining
- Cardboard and Duct tape boats
- Pipe Cleaner Towers
- Mars habitat design
- and many more
- 20 Dell computers equipped with Solidworks, MasterCAM, and CorelDRAW
- 2 Stratasys uPrint SE 3D printers
- Intelitek CNC BenchMill 6000
- Intelitek CNC BenchTurn 7000
- 2 Roland Bench Mills
- 60 Watt Universal Laser System Versalaser
- Ryobi Drill Press